Tuesday, March 01, 2005

ReCyling FUN!

Okay, I admit it....I am a thrift store junkie! My new mission in life is to find old sweaters to make into something new. I have always loved the thrill of the search, and the excitement when you find something really good and CHEAP! This passion was ignited several weeks ago, when I happened upon this post in the blog, Layers of Meaning. What a cool idea, making blankets out of recycled, felted sweaters.

Over the weekend, I purchased the spring issue of Interweave Knits. In the magazine, there is an article about recycling old sweaters by not only felting, but also by ripping and then re-knitting the yarn. I loved the purses that were featured, and decided to try my hand at a few.

At my last visit to the local thrift, I brought home an ancient Villager Cable Sweater and a newer GAP fisherman sweater. I felted both, and then started cutting. Here is what I made out of the sleeve of the Cable:

Peach

And, here is a cute backpack that was once the body of the Fisherman:

Speckles

Except for the time spent waiting for felted sweaters to dry, this is immediate gratification!