Thursday, January 20, 2005

Sable Yarn

I finally finished spinning up the dyed roving below. What color did the yarn come out? Well, it was a mixture of grey, brown and pink. I was very unhappy with the color of the roving, but liked it more once it was spun.



I had so much of the yarn (about 800 yards) that I decided to go ahead and knit it up...so I wouldn't have to look at it and feel disappointed.

I was pleasantly surprised with how the yarn knit up. I used a basic Yankee Knitter pattern for the Bulky Sweater. I was going to make a child's large for DS but it ended up too big - just big enough to fit me! What can I say??????

Here is the front of the sweater. I still have sleeves and neck to finish up.


And, here is the back. I used size 10 needles and got about 3 stitches to the inch. The pattern called for 3.5 stitches to the inch.....ACK! Well, it has turned out all right in the end.



It is really quite beautiful with subtle shades of browns, grey, pink and cream. I have to admit that I have been completely amazed at how wonderful this yarn has spun and knitted up. I am also happy with the stripes the dyeing/spinning produced once knitted. It is New Zealand Wool...very very WARM for these snowy days.