Thursday, September 23, 2004

RAOK HAPPINESS

Yesterday was pretty hectic for me. I made 4 round trips to the school (dropoff, lunch duty, pickup, open house). Each round trip equals 40 minutes of driving. In addition, I had to coordinate getting three boys to two soccer games in two different locations.

Plus, my car was on empty and I had left my cell phone at work. Please note that I live in the country, so it is at least 20 miles to get anywhere or to get gas. And, this prooved to be a problem as I looked at my gas tank computer which indicated that I only had 10 miles left to empty.

It was 7PM and I was supposed to be at the Middle School Open House at 7 PM. I was at least 20 miles away and on empty. I also realized that I only had about $5.00 cash on me and the closest country gas store only took cash.

I pulled in to the gas station and tried to fill up with gas. Vonnie's had upgraded the pumps, and when I tried to fit the gas pump in the hole, it wouldn't fit. I really started to lose it at this point. THe woman in the store kept looking out at me as I tried to push the pump in. Had something happened to the gas lid? Had someone tampered with my car? I ran inside and waved my $5.00 bill and started to explain that the pump wouldn't fit. She just gave me a blank stare and took my money. I ran back out, determined to drip the gas in, when I realized I had been trying to add diesel to my car. Did you know the pumps are made different sizes so that crazy, rushed lunatics like me won't ruin the car?

Well, I got the $5.00 worth of gas, jumped back in the car, and started up. Guess what the tank computer read....13 MILES TO EMPTY. My $5.00 had bought me a whole 3 miles!!! I wanted to cry. It was 7:15 now.

The story continues but I won't bore you. I ended up at a station that would accept a check and got enough gas to get to the school...at 7:45. Not too bad.

As I was driving to school, the only thing that kept me from going completely mad was the thought of Verna's Generous Act of Kindness and the piles of beautiful fiber sitting next to my spinning wheel waiting for a quiet moment of total peace!

Thanks Verna...You really made my day!